Thursday, February 19, 2009

Artist Response #4: Computer Art Therapy


Before I came to St. Mary’s, I had often heard of the different and beneficial methods of art therapy, but I really only considered it to consist of drawings and paintings. But, over the past few years, I have come to understand that there are many other forms that can also play a helping hand in improving the overall well-being of the human mind. One of these methods that I have really found myself working with a lot is the use of digital video.

Video art therapy is seen in the Computer Art Therapy world as being a form of psychotherapy that consists of making video that will then be used as a mode of communication. This type of therapy can be really helpful for people that have a memory or time in their life that they want to express, but rather than talking about it, they create a video as their platform. For instance, some people who have suffered something extremely devastating in their life may not be able to actually talk about it because it is just way to stressful to express in words. Their voice is presented through their use of their video making skills.

The artist that I did some research on for this form of art is a guy by the name of Bobby Warns. Bobby, an amatuer filmmaker, went through the process of creating a video tribute for the family of a military vet. This use of art helped improve the very difficult situation that the family was going through, showing the many benefits that the digital video format can produce.

I think the first thing that intrigued me about this topic of art therapy is the personal connection that I have with it. After I graduated high school back in 2004, I was involved in a near fatal car accident that put me in a coma for two months, etc. When I left the hospital, I didn’t feel the need to speak to a psychiatrist about what I went through, but instead, preferred to express my frustration and pain through art. My art therapy began with drawing with pen and ink, and then started to progress into digital photography, and then I combined those two concepts into the use of digital video.

No comments:

Post a Comment